No matter what time of year, I always seem to be busy doing something whether its going out, working or even cleaning the house. When I am busy I often forget to take it easy on my poor nails. They are continuously used as tools to open things like cans or I am ridiculously heavy handed, knocking my hands on everything and chipping off nails all over the place.
Recently I decided enough is enough and invested both my money into some new nail care products and my time into caring for my nails. I bought the basics: a small set of nail clippers, a nail file, a cuticle pusher, a four stage buffing block and cuticle balm.
Although it is not compulsory for you to buy, I also purchased one of the Sally Hansen nail polishes: the ‘Age Correct Strength’ polish for dry and brittle nails. This is because I have super thin, weak and brittle nails which tend to split into layers and flake off.
Every three days I try to sit down and give my nails some TLC. My typical routine is:
- Remove any nail polish and ensure nails are clean
- File the nails into the shape I want
- Use the buffing block to file, remove ridges, buff and shine up
- Smooth the cuticle balm across my cuticles, massaging in as I go
- Take the cuticle pusher and push cuticles off the nail bed, smoothing the pusher all the way round the nail and then under it
- Polish off any dust that might be on the nail bed
- Apply the Sally Hansen strengthening polish and leave to dry
I have found my nails to be a LOT stronger than what they were and the nail polish acts as a great protective layer for my nails as I continue my day to day tasks.
I highly recommend you ladies take an hour out soon and give yourself a manicure! Your nails will thank you for it!